Lets talk about managing our homes....

Kelly C.
Alright ladies I know this is something we all want to do well but it doesn't seem to be that easy! Lets talk about what you are doing well and what is more challenging for you. We can encourage each other to be Proverbs 31 women

What areas of your home do you feel good about?

What areas of your home do you feel like you struggle to keep on top of?

How did you learn to manage your home well?

~Mom to four, wife to one~
  Galatians 6:9-10

Re: Lets talk about managing our homes....

Kelly C.
What areas of your home do you feel good about?

Laundry, cooking and meal planning, grocery shopping on a budget.

What areas of your home do you feel like you struggle to keep on top of?

Clutter!!! (There always seems to be a stack of papers on every flat surface-not every flat surface but close to it.)
Keeping things looking neat all the time. My home was always neat and tidy when my family was smaller and we were less busy but now its a real battle! We aren't living in filth or anything its just not the peaceful home I desire!
I am not organized by nature so its a little bit more of a challenge.

How did you learn to manage your home well?

The things I do well I learned by trial and error! I really enjoy cooking and planning meals so that is easier for me b/c its fun! I really like doing laundry and ironing too.  I have read lots of books and talked to lots of  Proverbs 31 women.
~Mom to four, wife to one~
  Galatians 6:9-10

Re: Lets talk about managing our homes....

Untypically Jia

What areas of your home do you feel good about?

- Right now, and not to be a downer, but nothing. Our house is a bit like a domino effect. One thing goes wrong and the rest just tumbles. I am pretty decent about cooking things in bulk. Like I prechop and freeze most of my veggies and stuff on my days off, and we always manage to have a fully stocked (though not yet organized *project!*) pantry LOL!

What areas of your home do you feel like you struggle to keep on top of?

Being organized. Nothing really has a place. My husband insists on leaving his deodorant all over the house (which has actually become a funny trait of his I think is cute) but then other things tend to find their way out into other rooms as well. Also, because our schedule is so abnormal from what we have been used to, we don't have a general routine so things just tend to go as they please until the last minute when things NEED to be cleaned and ready.

How did you learn to manage your home well?

Before I went back to work (when my home WAS managed well) I had to teach myself. I wasn't taught growing up cause I was raised by women who did the, "You didn't do it right, I'll just do it myself over again" thing. So when we got married I was thrown into an unknown world and had to try and figure it out by myself. I read a lot of books trying to get the skills down, but I need to get back to Proverbs 31 in order to get over this new hurdle.

Re: Lets talk about managing our homes....

Courtney -WomenLivingWell
Administrator

What areas of your home do you feel good about?   Since we just moved - I am feeling good!  I got rid of a lot of junk that was cluttering my home and I feel like I have a chance to get into better order.  I learned a lot in our old home about keeping a cleaning schedule and teaching the children to work along side of me - so those are my two strengths.

What areas of your home do you feel like you struggle to keep on top of?  Keeping all of the closets in order - specifically the kids toys - yikes!  I am not a very good "organizer."

How did you learn to manage your home well?  I am still learning.  But Emilie Barnes books have helped a lot and other women's blogs.  The web has a wealth of information - my problem is I have a lot of information - I need to apply more of it hehe!

http://www.womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com
http://www.womenlivingwell.org
Married 12 years, children ages 6 and 4
Galatians 6:9 "Do not grow weary in doing good for in due season you will reap a harvest IF you do not give up."

Re: Lets talk about managing our homes....

Susan
I'd like to play:)

What areas of your home do you feel good about?   I do a good job of keeping the house clean and having the kids work with me.

What areas of your home do you feel like you struggle to keep on top of? We love books.  I have book shelves in every room.  They are all full but every time I try to declutter them I just can't find books to give away.  It's reached critical mass- people can't put away their books because there's no place for them.

How did you learn to manage your home well? I learned from my Mom that the whole family works together, I learned from fly lady to do it each day.  I learned from experience that my husband is not a "honeydew list" kind of guy.  Instead, the cleaner I keep everything the harder he works keeping everything fixed and picked up- on his own.
Susan
Daily Coping Skills

Married 22 years, 7 children later- still in love though a lot busier.

Re: Lets talk about managing our homes....

Kelly L
Kelly...I could have copied your post!  VERY similar situation here! :)

What areas of your home do you feel good about?   Grocery Shopping/Budgeting, Laundry (FINALLY have a system!)

What areas of your home do you feel like you struggle to keep on top of?  Definitely clutter.  I sometimes feel like one of those hamsters in a wheel!! Mondays (after the weekend) are the worst!  I would also like to be more organized!

How did you learn to manage your home well? Many years of trying different things! LOTS of books and...watching other women who I admire!
Kelly L
Married 12 years to Todd! <3
Kayley 9
Cole 6
Carter 3

Re: Lets talk about managing our homes....

kimmy920
What areas of your home do you feel good about?   I do a pretty good job of minimizing clutter (but we only have 1 child...ask me when we have 3) IN general though I like the house to have a generally neat appearance. I clean out closets fairly regularly and looove to throw things away or get rid of stuff. Counters are always cleaned off.

What areas of your home do you feel like you struggle to keep on top of? Laundry, filing paperwork, and I dont really have a system or schedule. I want to but every time I try it just doesnt work!It just gets done as I see it needing done. Getting my 3 year old to help out but I am just starting that now:)

How did you learn to manage your home well? Learned from my mom, sister, and other women.

Re: Lets talk about managing our homes....

Clare
What areas of your home do you feel good about?    Hmmm. I'm really good about keeping on top of laundry, the main room clutter-free and the kitchen cleaned up but other than that, it's been a struggle to keep everything else in order!

What areas of your home do you feel like you struggle to keep on top of?  That would be my office/paperwork and then any major duty cleaning...i.e. baseboards, appliances etc

How did you learn to manage your home well?  From many lovely ladies here and of course various websites. I'm still a HUGE work in progress! I keep thinking I'll take an afternoon and tackle a room, but for some reason I can't get that afternoon. haha!

Re: Lets talk about managing our homes....

MomentswithMOM
Good Morning Ladies!
I noticed you were talking about home management and wanted to let you know I have started posting a weekly blog sharing some of the tips and tools I have learned over the years. I would love to help answer any questions or share anything the Lord has taught me over the years.

Have a beautiful day!
Mrs. Joseph Wood
Because of His Grace,
Mrs. Joseph Wood
www.amomentwithmom.blogpsot.com
Join me on facebook at: www.facebook.com/MomentswithMOM

Re: Lets talk about managing our homes....

Hi.I have jus moved so it was an oupprtunity to get more organised.

What areas of your home do you feel good about?

That i have a place for everything and know where stuff is and when my husband ask where something is i know! :D

What areas of your home do you feel like you struggle to keep on top of?

What i struggle with is to MAINTAIN the house and to stay on top ,espescially with the laundry and my daughters toys! :O So i have learnt to relax and stop trying have the perfect house.The main thing is that it is a clean and happy place for my fam to live in.

How did you learn to manage your home well?

Well when i was growing up i wasn't really interested in that stuff and it's a shame i had such a bad view of homemaking as my Mum is a fantastic at home but i never payed attention.:( When i accepted jesus into my heart ,i got a revaltion and all the ladies in my church were home-trained so that taught me a lot.I have trained myself by reading books,going on several sites and asking for help and most important choosing to do it and to stop being lazy!

Re: Lets talk about managing our homes....

mgji2009
What areas of your home do you feel good about?   I feel good about the fact that I know I can keep the house incredibly clean by staying on top of it(not always an easy task, though!). I also feel good knowing how much money I save by shopping according to sales, and couponing.

What areas of your home do you feel like you struggle to keep on top of? Kid mess, for sure. I can have the entire house cleaned top to bottom, but the kids can have it trashed in mere minutes. Sometimes it's frustrating, and I often find myself in the "what's the point when it will look like this in five minutes anyway?" mindset. I am trying to get our family eating all healthy and organic as much as possible, but this is still a work in progress.

How did you learn to manage your home well?  I've read a lot of blogs about how other women keep up with housework, laundry, cooking, kids, etc. and I take advice from there. I am also beginning to follow the Fly Lady methods.. The Control Journal is the best tool ever!