What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

12

What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Courtney -WomenLivingWell
Administrator
Let me get this discussion going...

My favorite marriage books are:

Love and Respect by Dr. Emmerson Eggerich
For Women Only by Shaunti Fehldhan
Intimate Issues by Linda Dillow
Creative Counterpart by Linda Dillow

What are your favorite marriage books?

http://www.womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com
http://www.womenlivingwell.org
Married 12 years, children ages 6 and 4
Galatians 6:9 "Do not grow weary in doing good for in due season you will reap a harvest IF you do not give up."

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Melodie
The Five Love Languages... I think this book is amazing and so helpful in teaching us to love!!

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Mandi-C.HeightsMom
Other than The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman I would have to say The Love Dare.
Our marriage wasn't in trouble or anything but it taught us the joy of serving each other daily! It definitely brought us closer together!

Capitol Heights Mommy
capitolheightsmom.blogspot.com

Married 2 years with a 1 year old girl and trying for more!
Ephesians 3:20 "Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us"

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Kelly C.
Hmmm....I have 2 to add Courtney's list that are personal favorites but a little more controversial. The first is The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands by Dr. Laura and Created to be his Helpmeet (I can't remember the author right now-sorry). If you can read them and glean whats good they are both great books with the power to change your marriage or your thinking. Of course, the only book that can truly change your marriage is the Bible=)
~Mom to four, wife to one~
  Galatians 6:9-10

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Carol
Excellent Wife by Martha Peace. I am studying this now!

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Kelly L
My very favorite marriage book (also one of Courtney's), is Love and Respect by Dr. Emmerson Eggerich.  That book gave me new perspective and truly changed my marriage (for the better!).

 I also love the book "For Women Only" (not sure the author).
Kelly L
Married 12 years to Todd! <3
Kayley 9
Cole 6
Carter 3

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

budgetedlife
My favorite marriage book is His Needs Her Needs by Willard Harley, Jr. It helped us to understand each other so much better than before.
www.ayearofprayer.blogspot.com

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Lowbudget
Yes. I must agree... I love this book!

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Lowbudget
I love this book as well.  It is my goal to read The Five Love Languages of Children (Not sure of the title, but I hope I am close enough).  :)

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

MEL-Woman of Proof
I have to say I'm with Courtney on "For Women Only". The book was a good start and the Bible study was a blessing! Loved it.

I would also add:
"The Strong-Willed Wife:Using your personality to honor God and your husband" by:Dr. Debbie Cherry
"The Power of a Praying Wife" by Stormie Omartian
and
"The Joy of Marriage God's Way" By Beverly LaHaye and a compilation of others.
MEL
Married 5 years with a 4 yr. old boy and a 2 yr old girl, hoping for more soon. ;)
Matthew 7:11
http://womanofproof.blogspot.com/

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

I like a Woman After God's own Heart by Elisabeth George. It has a bit of everything in it.

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Susan
I love the book "Created To Be His Helpmeet", by Debbie Pearl.

Though these are not  "marriage" books, I love the book "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis. and also his, "That Hideous Strength."  Both those books illustrate how we can lie to ourselves and wreck havoc on our marriages with our lies.

Susan
Daily Coping Skills
Susan
Daily Coping Skills

Married 22 years, 7 children later- still in love though a lot busier.

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

amanda47
My husband and I both really benefited from reading Sacred Marriage by Gray Thomas together.  It led to some wonderful discussions.

his book's site

"Yes, the Lord has done amazing things for us! What joy!"  (Psalm 126:3, NLT)

newlywed living in asia, longing to be a mommy, and celebrating life, wuhoo!

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Heritage of Sons
I am seconding Sacred Marriage.
Aimee
wife to a great guy (12 years)
homeschooling mom of 4 boys

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Heather
Created to be His Helpmeet by Debi Pearl
Womanly Dominion by Mark Chanski
Housewives: Desparate for God

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Syndiluhu
Love and Respect was great.  My all time favorite is The Excellent Wife by Martha Peace.  I've read and reread that book.  I always find something new in it that I need to work on.
Jen

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Jen
My list mirrors Courtney's and Kelly C.'s probably. Creative Counterpart was probably the most life-changing, but I've gotten help from many of the ones mentioned.

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

jinkabloom
5 Love Languages for SURE! That book blessed and helped us so much! I felt like I was being "emotionally starved" and he felt like he couldn't "make me happy"...we were just both "speaking" the wrong languages for the other to fully receive it! I can't wait to read some of the suggestions here! Thanks Ladies! Jinka <3

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Christy
I liked Love and Respect a lot too, and we are currently reading The Sacred Marriage - it looks amazing!

Re: What is Your Favorite Book On Marriage?

Shasta
Currently my favorite book is This Momentary Marriage by John Piper.

"Marriage is the doing of God. And ultimately, marriage is the display of God." To put one line in to summarize this book is hard!
12