Quantcast

What to do when your husband lies all the time??

What to do when your husband lies all the time??

Michelle
I've been married for 2 years and I've learned that my husband seems to lie about a lot.
Little stuff like smoking and other tobacco products, where he's going, where he's been... things like that.
Many things are so small I'm not sure why he does. His mom says he does it because he doesn't want to hear what I might say about it. It makes me wonder what else he's capable of lying about.
I've prayed and prayed about it but nothing ever changes and I'm getting really discouraged : (
If anyone has advise I'd love to hear it because I'm just really exhausted at this point.
Thanks  :)
Michelle

Re: What to do when your husband lies all the time??

becca banana
All I can say is PRAY.  Not because I've been in your situation, but because we hear of the power of prayer, and stories of people who prayed for years and years with no fruit and God's timing came through much later.  God is in control.

Do you have a wise Christian woman you could talk to in private?  A Titus 2 mentor, someone who is godly and older and has a chance to pray with you and share in your burdens?

Take care.

Re: What to do when your husband lies all the time??

Glenda
I completely understand this as we have been married almost as long and have the same sort of things - and about the same kind of things too!

I think your mother is probably right - my Hubby is trying to avoid getting hassled or nagged - even jokes at his expense annoy him so thinking that might happen is also a cause to lie.

However I think its getting better for two reasons - Firstly I have prayed - for me to stop nagging! Instead of praying for him not to lie - I started praying that I would be a wife worthy of his trust.  Big prayer - and hard to swallow when God starts showing me how prickly and naggy I really am!

The second is that when I have "caught him out" I have tried very hard not to react to it, or to even really mention it. If he says he was at work and I know he really stopped for a beer with the guys on the way home (which I don't mind - he's not a big drinker) then next time he mentions that someone is having a birthday I'll say "You going to the pub on the way home? Cool." Trying to show him that I trust him and that the things he is doing are normal and ok, and that I won't nag or judge him - its hard to bite my tongue and sometimes I don't (and it just makes things worse), but on the whole it seems to be working!

Hope it helps! (and I understand the smoking issue - I'm desperately praying every day that God will teach me what he wants me to learn while my husband is smoking - the faster I learn, perhaps the more likely he will give up?)

Re: What to do when your husband lies all the time??

Heritage of Sons
How are you doing today, Michelle?

Keep praying!  In our eyes, and from our human perspective, 2 years is a long time.  But to the Lord it is only a moment.  Do not grow weary!

I know this is different, but my mom prayed for the salvation of her sister for over 50 (yes, fifty) years before her sister turned to the Lord.  (She's still praying for her other sister.)
Aimee
wife to a great guy (12 years)
homeschooling mom of 4 boys