Working Around Husband's Random Work Schedule

Working Around Husband's Random Work Schedule

Stacey
I love the idea of being able to freshen up for my husband at about 4pm and get the children prepared for him to come home; then greet him at the door, and have a hot meal on the table. However, my husband's job is very untraditional. He works out of town some days, and other days he works in our home from an office that he will be in and out of all day. The schedule is random, for example some times he will be gone for a month or longer, other times he will be gone for just a day or two.
I am having trouble fullfilling my role as wife with this random schedule. It is especially difficult when he is here all day working because I have a 22 month old and a 6 month old, and his office is right next to their bedroom and our living room (there is no other place for it to be, we have a very small home). I feel like I have to entertain and keep the kids from screaming and being loud all day, and then I can't get any work done or even manage to get a shower some days. It is very frustrating for myself, and I can tell it frustrates him too.
The situation is difficult for me and I would love some advice. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Stacey

Re: Working Around Husband's Random Work Schedule

Courtney -WomenLivingWell
Administrator
Stacey - my husband works from home sometimes too - and it is definately not easy to keep the children quiet!  I've been there!  We had to set a lot of rules and boundaries and I spent a lot of time quieting them in the beginning and working up "strategies" for survival!

As far as the hot meal and getting fixed up - you can still do that...on days when my husband works from home I am usually dressed with make-up on right after breakfast.  This way you look nice for him all day long.

I think the real issue for you is it's actually EXTRA work to have your husband work from home.  When my husband is home it means a hot lunch AND a hot dinner and no slacking on keeping the kids busy and quiet.

Embrace the opportunity to have your husband home with you - work around what is best for him - that's the best way to be his helper - and strive to find fulfillment in helping him.  It will feel like a big sacrifice but try to take the perspective that it is an honor to care for his children while he is working to provide for you all.  What a blessing it is to have a daddy who works so hard!  Praise him for his hard work.

And work up strategies to keep your children busy and quiet as best as you can...it's not easy - I know!!!  But I had a schedule in place where we moved from station to station all day - like story time, table time (coloring, puzzles) tv time, snack time, nap time, blanket time (have them sit on blankets quietly and play with one toy), room time (play in bedrooms quietly), video time, bathtub time, etc.

If I missed something with your question - please ask further - hope this helps!
Much Love,

http://www.womenlivingwell-courtney.blogspot.com
http://www.womenlivingwell.org
Married 12 years, children ages 6 and 4
Galatians 6:9 "Do not grow weary in doing good for in due season you will reap a harvest IF you do not give up."

Re: Working Around Husband's Random Work Schedule

Stacey
This is helpful, thank you. I do some of those things already, and could definitely be a little more structured with activities for the kids. That would help a lot, I think. And mostly I just need to pray about and work on my attitude, because it is more work to have two hot meals and keep the kids quiet while still doing normal house chores. But I need to remember that it is also a blessing to have such a great, hard-working husband and to have him with us all day at home. Thanks for the encouragement and ideas.